Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Little Hope Springing in Summer

My summer is finally getting into gear because I feel well enough to do things. Well, thing anyway. With fibromyalgia, I have about enough energy to do one thing a day. If I work, that's it. If I ride, that's it. If I go shopping, that's it. If I go out to lunch with friends, that's it. If I go away, I always plan for at least one recovery day before I have to go back to work.

To be honest, the whole thing is kind of a drag.

I am thinking about checking out a new treatment center. One of my riding buddies, L, has been going to the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Center in Troy. I ran into her at the barn the other day and she looked great. Like she had energy. She says that the first few months of treatment were hard but now she feels better than she has since she first got sick. That sounds hopeful. Of course, there's a downside. The cost.

I have been on the emailing list for the center for a couple of years now but have been afraid to commit to unknown costs - visits, supplements, prescriptions, etc., etc. - none of which would be covered by my insurance. A few weeks ago, before I talked with L, I got an email from the center explaining that they were establishing a comprehensive care package with set pricing. I'm still afraid to see the monthly cost but it might be worth a phone call and a few hours of sitting in their monthly informational meeting just to check it out.

Spring is the season of hope, but I might just be catching a glimmer of it this summer.

No comments: