Monday, November 23, 2009

Next Steps

I've been thinking about why people don't do things they know they should do to live healthier, happier lives. Of course when I say this, I am really saying I've been thinking about why I don't do things I know I should do to live a healthier, happier life.

Like taking care of my health.

I do the big things to manage my fibromyalgia - the doctor's visits and medications and supplements - but I haven't been doing the everyday things like eating healthy food, exercising, getting enough rest, meditating, using pacing techniques, setting priorities, and having some fun. Frankly, even thinking about adding any of those things to my day is exhausting. But here is the plan for my brave new world - I'm going to do them.

Shifting my perspective from thinking that I won't be able to do it and then making these changes will be one of the most difficult things I have ever tried to do. Vital to my well being and totally necessary but extremely difficult. So I'm going to blog about it for fun and to keep myself on track.

I'm starting with exercise.

I've always had good luck working out at home but I need to get out more so I stopped by a local health club today to see about membership. It's nice. It's close to home. The ladies' locker room smells really good. The people exercising seemed normal. When I asked about the cost of memberships, I got sticker shock. Yikes. It costs a lot to join a nice, close to home fitness center with good smelling locker rooms where normal people exercise.

Of course, a lot is actually less than one month's board for T so I guess it's relative. Balking at the cost is also a first sign of resistance since my company has a fitness allowance that will pay for most of the membership.

I got a free pass for a week that starts on Thursday. I'll be working on all my "why I can't exercise" excuses between now and then.

Tomorrow night I'm going to a networking event for women in HR. I have nothing to wear and many other excuses for why I can't go, but I'm going anyway. See. Brave new world.

No comments: