Thursday, September 25, 2008

Two Down

I read two books this week. Only thousands more to go to finish my shelves. Progress can be slow.

The first book I read was a loaner. I bought it for A for her birthday and gave it to her with the condition that she had to loan it to me so I could read it when she was finished. (How rude was that?)

Tending Roses by Lisa Wingate was timely for me because it reminded me that money isn't everything and that things can work out at a time when I'm freaking out daily about how much I'm spending for health care. There's a quote in the second book I read that's fitting here...

Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows is possibly my favorite book this year. It takes place after WWII and is written entirely in the form of letters - mostly between the protagonist, a writer named Juliet, and some people on the island of Guernsey which was occupied by the Germans during the war. It's a little old fashioned (which I love) but it doesn't sugar coat the war or the after effects.

*************************

Today was IV day at the Fibro and Fatigue Center. I was there from 11 a.m. until after 2 p.m. because the darn things didn't want to flow. The whole process does me in for a couple days. I'm taking it as a good sign, that the things that are supposed to die off are doing so, but I wish it was a little easier. Still looking for that miracle cure, I guess.

No comments: