Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Made it

I made it through the first week. It's been a lot of fun and I plan to keep on blogging. I'm really grateful for the support I've gotten from family and friends - knowing I had some readers (thanks, guys!) made the first week a nerve-wracking good time.

I've been on a health kick lately and that's made an impact on my book choices. I've listened to Rethinking Thin which basically said trying to lose large amounts of weight is hopeless but was still surprisingly motivating. It made me decide to join Weight Watchers to see if I could lose a few pounds knowing that I'd have some accountability. (See, I can't do anything without making sure I've got some public humiliation in store if I don't come through.)

I just started listening to In Defense of Food on the drive home tonight. I think I'll like that too because I think it's going to be scathing toward food scientists and food manufacturers.

The best has been Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster. The book is a laugh riot. Even though it gets serious in a couple places, it was worth the price just for the description of the Weight Watchers meeting Jen attended. It sounded like the Weight Watchers meetings I've attended - sad really. There's the added bonus of reading about her time on the Atkins diet, her visit to the Jenny Craig office with the huge poster of Kirstie Alley whose eyes follow Jen wherever she goes, and her interactions with her personal trainer, Barbie, who looks like, well, a Barbie. I tried to read a couple of times while I was eating. I laughed so hard, I couldn't swallow so I guess it's an effective weight loss tool too.

I've made it a few days without coffee now. If I had a functioning brain cell, I'm sure I could tell you exactly how many days it's been. This morning I thought it was going pretty well. This afternoon I hit the wall. It could have been the conference call on transparency in communicating compensation programs, but I think it was the lack of coffee.

No comments: